04 Jan New Year, New Home?
It’s the time of year when people’s thoughts traditionally turn to the changes that they wish to make in their life – for many this can mean beginning to seek out a new home.
If your resolution for 2021 is to be settled into a new property by the time Christmas rolls around again, then it might help you to start making plans now to help you sell your house and buy a property that better suits your needs – be that upsizing, or downsizing, having that all important home office or simply some outdoor space.
Help the Moving Process Run Smoothly
Planning carefully in advance of starting the house move process can help the whole thing to run a lot more smoothly, and in instances where you do face obstacles, can help to lessen their impact when they arise.
While it may be tempting to log onto Rightmove and begin to book viewings of homes that catch your eye, if you have not yet planned your property move process, this is likely to be a recipe for disappointment as you may not be in a position to buy a property as soon as you find one.
Property Planning Puts You in a Good Position
If you are set on moving house in 2021 then consider instead sitting down and putting together a battle plan to sell your home and put yourself in a good position to buy the property of your dreams.
Things you may wish to consider are:
- Readying your property for sale: before you even begin the property marketing process you want to be sure that your home is in the best possible state for a sale. This step should come before you speak with us (though our property experts will be able to offer you advice if you choose to come on board with us) or book a valuation. Think about freshening up the décor, and remember to declutter!
- Shopping for an estate agent: We’d love you to choose our local, independent, family run estate agency here at Hardisty and Co though be sure to think about who you want to sell your house and how you want it done. Ask around for recommendations and consider all the options. Be sure to read the small print, some agents may tie you into an exclusive contract for 12 weeks (meaning you’re unable to change to another agent if things are working out the way you’d hoped), some online agencies may be tempting as they charge a flat fee though this may be payable upfront regardless of whether they manage to sell your home or not. At Hardisty and Co, we offer free, no obligation valuations on a no fee, no sale basis, meaning you’re in safe hands and we’re working hard behind the scenes to get your property sold and over the finishing line. We offer online estimates via our website if you’re just curious to know how much your home could be worth, or in-person valuations by one of our professional, local valuers.
- Ready your finances: Knowing what you’re able to afford for your next purchase at the start of your process is vitally important. Not only does knowing your affordability allow you to search for properties that suit your budget but also puts you in a better position when you find ‘The One’ you want to buy, making you more appealing to sellers. The mortgage market is forever changing and this can be a confusing world to navigate alone. Having a reliable and independent financial advisor is key to finding the best option for your circumstances. When looking for a financial advisor to represent you, be sure that they have access to a wide range of services and not just a small pool of lenders to choose from. Some advisors may only have relationships with a select few mortgage companies, whereas others may have 100s to choose from and therefore be more likely to be able to find you a product that really fits the bill. Hardisty Financial, our team of in-house mortgage and protection specialists are on hand to provide you with comprehensive, independent mortgage advice with access to over 400 lenders. Our team have a wealth of knowledge which allows them to be able to help first and second time buyers, those looking to remortgage, investors and buy to let landlords.
- Creating Professional Property Marketing Materials: With the majority of buyers beginning their house hunts online, especially in our current climate, you really want to be sure that you are putting your best foot forward in this visually led arena – which means creating professional property marketing imagery such as property photography and virtual tours. At Hardisty and Co, we capture your home in the best light with our professional photography service which is included as standard. Virtual tours are a helpful tool to have in your arsenal when viewings cannot be done in person, allowing those further afield or those self-isolating to view from the comfort of their own home.
- Select a solicitor: Your legal representative plays a vital role in the selling and purchasing of property – choose wisely! Again, professional and personal recommendations can be helpful here and pay attention to how easy they are to get hold of in the first instance since communication is key during the moving process. We have a recommended panel of solicitors who are local and have been carefully vetted to ensure that you receive the very best service by friendly, legal professionals who will guide and ease you through the whole process from beginning to end. They, like ourselves, understand the importance of high level customer service and strive to make your house buying and selling experience smooth and as stress free as possible. Our panel provide competitive rates to our clients and all of their costs are quoted upfront so you have peace of mind in knowing your matter will be dealt with at the agreed fee. Click here for a conveyancing quote.